Meet the Indie Author mini interview series 1 of 3: Meet Katie Holland!

Meet Katie Holland!
Author of Nykara.

                            
      Visit Katie: katiehollandbooks                                                     Buy Nykara

Thank you so much for joining us today Katie! 

Tell us a little about yourself. You're an author...what else?
I’m a daughter, sister, wife, step-mom and grandma. I like to bake and take pictures. I love chocolate and popcorn is my all-time favorite snack. I love to read. I have lots of books and would love to have my own library one day, preferably complete with a secret room.

Tell us about Nykara. Where did this story come from?
Actually all I had when I started this book was the main character’s name, Alix. I just sat down one day and started writing. I had no plan and let the story evolve naturally. Even I didn’t know from one day to the next where it was going. Kind of like real life, I never knew what was going to happen until my fingers were on the keyboard and even then I would get surprised as to what was going on.

Why a Young Adult book?
I’ve always been a fan of Young Adult books so I think that’s why I chose to start with that genre. I also like writing about the process of starting to become an adult but still learning along the way. And I like the fact that people of any age can read it.

I want to hear about your self-publishing journey! What made you decide to pursue self-publishing instead of traditional?
I know how difficult it can be to get a book published the traditional way and I really wanted to get my story out for people to discover. I chose self-publishing so I could do that a lot faster, rather than trying to find a publisher who would pick me up.

What do you think is the best thing about the self-publishing industry?
The fact that you have one hundred percent control over your book. You are the only one making the decisions about the content, the cover, etc.

What is the worst thing?
Marketing. You are solely responsible for getting your book out there for people to find. For me that has been the hardest part.

What surprised you the most about self-publishing?
Once I figured out what I was doing, it was pretty easy. Also how many resources there are out there are out there to help you. You just need to find them.

What is one thing you wish you would have known before self-publishing?
How hard it is to get your name and your book out there for people to find. I wish I would have built up my social media following ahead of releasing Nykara instead of after.

Do you have any tips or advice for anyone considering self-publishing their book?
Do your research and figure out what’s going to be work for you. There are many websites that allow you to self-publish for free, chose the one that suits you the best. Find other indie authors and ask them what worked for them. Connect with other people like you on social media, there’s a lot of us out there! Learn all you can before you start the process. It can be a bit confusing at times but keep at it. Learn from your mistakes. After you publish your first book you’ll realize that there were things you would have done differently.

Who are some self-published authors you look up to, or that inspired you to follow this path to publication?
Abbi Glines and R.L. Mathewson. Abbi Glines started out self-publishing and now has over 40 books to her name. Some are now traditionally published but she still does some self-publishing as well. R.L. Mathewson has over 20 self-published books and says she will always be a self-published author.

Now lets jump into one of my favorite topics to discuss...writing!

How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing since I was six years old. The elementary school that I went to had a program that had us do creative writing every day. I fell in love with writing at a very young age. Every notebook I own has one or two stories in them that I started but haven’t finished yet.

What does your process look like? Walk us through a typical writing session for you.
I don’t really have a writing process.  When I get time to write I just sit down at my laptop, read the last little bit I wrote and just continue on from there. Even if I’ve had to finish in the middle of a sentence I’m able to pick up right back where I was. It’s easy for me to get lost in the fictional world I’m creating.

I'm always interested in hearing about other writers' rituals before or during writing. Do you have any?
Not really other than I prefer to write in a quiet environment. No TV, no music and no people is best for me.

What are some books and/or authors that inspired you to be a writer?
I don’t think there are any specific books or authors that inspired me. I just love to read and have lots of ideas in my head. I was always amazed at the way any author was able to put words together and create new worlds and people. I wanted to be able to do the same thing.

What has been your most rewarding experience as an author?
Publishing my first novel. For as long as I can remember I wanted to publish a book and on the day I did I was beyond excited. It was a dream come true.

What keeps you motivated and inspired to write?
I just love doing it. I love it when people read my work and tell me they like it or are excited to see what’s next. Knowing people are reading my words and want more is what inspires me the most.

What is one thing you want everyone to know about your writing?
I don’t ever have a plan. When I write I just sit down and see what happens. I allow the characters to take over and determine what will happen. Even sometimes when I think I know what direction I’m going, it suddenly changes.

What is the best writing advice you have ever gotten?

Don’t give up. If writing is what you want to do than do it. I have a super supportive family that believed in me even when I didn’t.

What are your thoughts on the indie author community?
I love the indie author community. They’re a great bunch and very supportive of each other. I’ve connected with a lot of fellow indie authors on Facebook and Instagram and I’m really glad I did. We all want the same thing and are there to support each other on our journeys.

And last but not least, do you have anything currently in the works? What can your readers expect from you next?

Yes, I have a few things in the works. I’m in the editing stage of The Chosen One, book two of the Nykara series. I’m currently writing the third book in the Nykara series (still untitled). I’m also close to releasing my first romance novel called Trapped In A Castle (A Slightly Strange Romance series). And lastly I’m working on a short story that I’ll be putting on my Facebook author page for free.

This was so much fun, Katie! Thank you so much for joining us!
Be sure to tune in next week for P.E Kavanagh's interview, on May 5th!

And as always, if you have any writing questions for me, leave a comment and I will do my best to write a post in response!


Connect with me on GoodReadsPinterest, and Instagram!
Happy writing!

Help a blogger out:I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Do me a huge favor and purchase from the links above so I can continue to provide you with content!

Happy writing!

Comments

Popular Posts